Parts-per million (ppm) conversion calculator.
Decimal, percent, permille, ppm, ppb, ppt conversion calculator
Enter proportion part in one of the text boxes and press the Convert button:
It is a simple tool that can be used for conversion from PPM to units such as percents or parts per billion (PPB).
How to calculate PPM
All of the proportion metrics are quite similar: they describe small values of dimensionless quantities, such as the volumetric proportion of NO₂ in the air. For example, PPM means "parts per million". If you find out that the concentration of NO₂ is equal to 1 ppm, it means that if you take a 'sample' of air and divide it into a million parts, one of them will consist of NO₂.
The proportion metrics are as follows:
Percentage: equal to 1 per 100
Permille: equal to 1 per 1,000
PPM: equal to 1 per 1,000,000
PPB: equal to 1 per 1,000,000,000
PPT: equal to 1 per 1,000,000,000,000
PPM conversion: an example
Let's take the following example: you have created a solution of salt (NaCl) in water. You used 0.005 grams of salt, and the final mass of the solution is equal to 1 kilogram. How many parts per million (PPM) of salt are in the solution?
1. Start with expressing the solution concentration as a decimal. There are 0.005 grams of salt in 1 kilogram (1000 grams). It means that the decimal is equal to
0.005 / 1000 = 0.000005
2. To find the percentage, multiply this value by a hundred:
0.000005 * 100 % = 0.0005
3. To find the permille value, multiply the decimal by a thousand:
0.000005 * 1,000 ‰ = 0.005
4. For the PPM, multiply the decimal by a million:
0.000005 * 1,000,000 PPM = 5 PPM
5. Finally, for the PPB, multiply the decimal by a billion:
0.000005 * 1,000,000,000 PPB = 5 PPB
ppm to mg/liter ►