Scientific Notation Converter
Scientific notation to standard decimal notation, E notation, normalized notation and engieering notation:
The scientific notation calculator will take any decimal value and convert it to scientific notation.Scientific notation is generally used with very large or very small numbers in applications such as physics, engineering and chemistry. It condenses the numbers into the form into a number multiplied by 10 raised to an exponent, denoted as a * 10ⁿ.
How to Convert a Number to Scientific Notation
.The proper format for scientific notation is a x 10^b where a is a number or decimal number such that the absolute value of a is greater than or equal to one and less than ten or, 1 ≤ |a| < 10. b is the power of 10 required so that the scientific notation is mathematically equivalent to the original number.
1. Move the decimal point in your number until there is only one non-zero digit to the left of the decimal point. The resulting decimal number is a.
2. Count how many places you moved the decimal point. This number is b.
3. If you moved the decimal to the left b is positive.
If you moved the decimal to the right b is negative.
If you did not need to move the decimal b = 0.
4. Write your scientific notation number as a x 10^b and read it as "a times 10 to the power of b."
5. Remove trailing 0's only if they were originally to the left of the decimal point.
Convert 357,096 to Scientific Notation
1. Move the decimal 5 places to the left to get 3.57096
a = 3.57096
2. We moved the decimal to the left so b is positive
b = 5
3. The number 357,096 converted to scientific notation is 3.57096 x 10^5
Scientific notation calculator ►